We made it to Oklahoma and have been thoroughly enjoying a few days not in the car. Cooking, reading, cards, and some long walks in the bright sunshine have been just what the doctor ordered. Riley gave me exactly what I asked for on Christmas morning - a fumanchu! I'm still loving it. Riley's still shaking his head at the photo at how lopsided the fumanchu is.
Dale took me and Riley for biscuits at the local City Cafe this morning. What was intended to be an event for the entire family dwindled to just the three of us thanks to a rowdy night of drinking along with our cards last night. Ryan, the primary target of the biscuits and gravy run, was unable to rally.
Tonight we'll celebrate Ryan and Mom's birthdays with a final dinner before Riley and I depart early tomorrow for Cheyenne.
Above is our approximate route, courtesy of Google Maps. The primary objectives of our Great Winter Road Trip are to drive my car and a few remaining belongings from their current storage location (our friend Ed's house) to Seattle and to celebrate the holidays with family (and a wedding) along the way. There were so many opportunities for adventure, just ripe for the picking, that we couldn't pass up the chance to cross off a few more items from our to-do list. Notably:
- Family time in Cincinnati, Iowa, Oklahoma, and Wyoming
- Two new states for Riley (Michigan and Vermont, leaving only Alaska!)
- Three new states for Tracy (Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho)
- Niagara falls for Riley
- Quality friends time in Ann Arbor, MI, Toronto, Saratoga Springs, NY (happy wedding, Matty and Sandra!), Cincinnati, OH, Bozeman, MT, and Boise, ID.
- Take in a pro sporting event in a new venue (Redwings hockey in Detroit)
- Ski at a new mountain (Big Sky, MT)
We'll see if the weather cooperates! And heck, by the time we're done, we will have nearly matched our greatest number of consecutive days in each other's company, second only to our wedding week + honeymoon AND Tracy's most recent stay in Seattle (a perfect tie). There have to be some good bonding nuggets in there somewhere for us crazy newlyweds.